Royal Lane Baptist Church is looking for its next Pastor.
We are a vibrant and vital congregation of diverse people united in Christ. Progressive-leaning, we embrace the historic Baptist principles of Bible, Soul, Church, and Religious freedom. By following these principles, we open our doors to anyone in search of a supportive Christian community that is sustained by the assurance of God’s grace. Our congregation is a welcoming, open and affirming mosaic of ethnicities, racial identities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and socioeconomic levels. We affirm the sacredness, dignity, and equality of every person. Our church is in the heart of Dallas, Texas, and is a spiritual center for members across the metroplex. We seek a pastor who shares our cultural values and who aligns with our mission and vision.
Strongly-held Values of RLBC’s Culture
● We are a warm and compassionate community. We care about one another.
● We believe that God loves and creates people of every ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, age, cognitive and physical ability. All persons in our congregation matter to us because they matter to Jesus Christ.
● We represent a broad theological and political spectrum. We are committed to finding ways to dialogue and respectfully learn from each other. We create a space where critical current issues are brought to light.
● We are comfortable in complexity and hunger for deeper spirituality and learning. We are an authentically questioning community who walk in faith and support each other despite our fragilities.
● We are free thinkers; historically Baptist in our identity, polity and practice.
● We cherish the hard work of Royal Lane’s history, a legacy of radical grace.
● We are sustained by high-quality worship anchored in the liturgical year. Our worship is distinguished by inspiring music and excellent preaching.
● We are committed to community outreach, social and racial justice, and ministry beyond our church walls.
● We treasure our children and embrace all family structures. Our Children’s and Youth ministries are highly valued and are a vital part of our church identity.
● We have a long-standing tradition of lay leadership working in collaboration with a pastor who stands with us, not over us.
The Ideal Candidate
● Excellent preacher, committed to substantive worship, cohesive, thematic planning, and the leadership of lectionary-based services from the perspective of all, inclusive of women, the oppressed and the marginalized.
● Views Christian spiritual formation and education as indispensable to the vitality of a congregation.
● Gifted in pastoral care that is attuned to the whole being as a person, one who can assist us in becoming more intentional and consistent in integrating visitors, new members and in caring for one another.
● Committed to being fully-present—in body and spirit—in all aspects of the life of the congregation, in getting to know our children and youth, and in participating in hands-on missions and social and racial justice.
● Holds a record of successful collaboration with staff, laity, and ministerial colleagues.
● Possesses firsthand experience in identifying and executing racial and social justice, and mission opportunities.
● Enjoys a robust network of institutional, denominational, and interfaith connections, combined with a genuine desire to engage with our local and congregational affiliations, ministry partners, and mission ministries.
● Provides a broad, new perspective on Christian education that extends beyond Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. The candidate will possess skills and resources to lead us in the development of educational programming which balances the needs of a multigenerational congregation.
● Values relationships grounded in authenticity and is nourished by a healthy sense of humor and humility.
● Respects and appreciates our past and has vision and creativity to lead us into the future, following God’s path for us.
● Sets boundaries and manages multiple demands in an organic, yet dynamic environment.
● Maintains discipline and a healthy balance among the daily supervisory, relational, and project management aspects of the job.
● Continues professional, spiritual, and personal growth, which requires dedicating time to prayer, study, and sermon preparation.
● M.Div. required; D.Min. Th.D., or Ph.D. preferred.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a résumé and cover letter to pastorsearch [at] royallane [dot] org.